Friday, May 1, 2009

Ignorance is bliss?

They (whomever they are) say that ignorance is bliss. However, ignorance when it comes to health is not bliss. Ignorance of not knowing you have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, high glucose, gall bladder issues, cancer, etc. is not bliss. I remember when I found a spot on my leg last fall - I suspected it was skin cancer but wasn't sure. I didn't go in until late fall to have it removed and was told it was skin cancer. They got most of it but I had to go back and have a larger spot taken to remove it all. That was not bliss. (Not being able to tan any more which I loved to do - that wasn't bliss either!!) My sister-in-law Beth and dear friend Lena not knowing they had breast cancer until their husbands found their lumps was not bliss. (Thankfully both are fine today and cancer-free).
I am most grateful for this challenge as it has made me more aware of my own health and where I'm at in many different categories. I'm thankful to have lost and continue to lose weight so that I am healthier - less chance of heart attack or stroke - that is bliss! But, I'm not so ignorant any more, and I am thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment